The origin of Holy Trinity parish can be traced back to 1906, when a group of residents in Moon Run formally petitioned the bishop for a new parish. In 1908, a mission of St. Columbkille Parish, Imperial was established in Moon Run. Work began on a church and the first Mass in the parish was celebrated in the basement of the church on August 19, 1908.
Work continued on the superstructure of the church and the completed building was solemnly dedicated on May 30, 1909. In the years that followed, seven pastors from St. Columbkille guided the parish’s mission, growth and development.
Over the years, the population of Robinson Township grew slowly. By 1944, the diocese decided that the population had grown enough to support an independent parish. The parish was established with 168 families and a resident pastor, Rev. Giles J. Krysmalski, was assigned. In 1946, the first permanent rectory was built adjoining the church.
After World War II, construction of the Parkway West and the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport led to a rapid rise of population. By 1951, the parish began to outgrow its church. The parish purchased eleven acres of land and a ten room house for a larger parish plant in April of 1951. The property was renamed “Trinity Acres”, the present site of the parish complex.
Construction of a school building that would include a temporary church began in 1952. The completed church/school building was dedicated on June 20, 1954. The old church was converted to a parish hall but was then sold in 1959.
Holy Trinity School opened for the first time in September, 1954. The first five grades were staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis, of the Providence of God. The Sisters used the old rectory as their convent until the building of a new, permanent convent was completed in August of 1956.
1957 marked the 25th anniversary of the priesthood of the pastor, Fr. Kris and also the erection of the second school with 8 classrooms and an auditorium.
On August 9, 1964, ground was broken for the permanent church. Construction was completed in 1966 and on August 27, 1966, the first Mass was celebrated in the new church by Fr. Krysmalski. However, the building was not formally dedicated until May 14, 1967.
Over the years Holy Trinity school has grown and prospered. Several generations of students have received a quality religious and academic education here.
A new gymnasium complete with pull-out bleachers, Boys and Girls locker rooms, gleaming hardwood floors, and a fine arts stage was added in the 1990’s.
A fully-equipped Science Lab and Computer Lab were also added in recent years. The classrooms have been equipped with Smart Boards and laptops for the teachers in the classrooms along with many other technology devices and advanced learning aids.
Holy Trinity School and Parish continue to grow and thrive. As our school celebrates its 60th year anniversary in 2014, it is poised for even greater success in the years ahead!